According to two experts, Jason Tetro, microbiologist and author of The Germ Code and The Germ Files; and Becky Rapinchuk, a cleaning expert and author of two books on cleaning, here is how often you should clean things in your home:
– Change the sheets once a week, two at the most. Wash them in hot water.
– Disinfect the sinks every day.
– Vacuum the rugs and wash the floors every one to two weeks.
– Wipe down the bathroom once a week at least. Your shower curtains should be disinfected weekly to avoid mildew.
– Swap out bath towels every other day.
– Swap out the kitchen sponge every few days. Drop them into boiling water for 2 minutes, put them in the microwave for 2 minutes while damp every couple of days, and replace them when they deteriorate.
– Wipe down doorknobs once a week.
Better get to work!